Power Verse: Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.”
This dovetails with our previous devotion about setting your money and your heart on eternal things, where moth and rust does not destroy. Jesus went on to preach about not worrying about what we will eat or wear because that won’t add a single hour to our lifespan. This is what Gentiles, or unbelievers, do. Worry, fretting and anxiety about money, food or clothes should not be a part of our vocabulary. We know Jesus and He says He’ll take care of us, and He will do what He promises. You can take that to the bank.
There is a “but” that precedes this promise. That condition is that we are to put the kingdom of God first in our lives. Here are some examples of what that looks like:
- Starting your day by spending time reading the Bible and praying, connecting with God and getting His marching orders
- Obeying what God commands, even if it sounds really hard
- Praying and thinking about ways to serve God and then doing it
- Going out to find someone who has things worse off than you, and then help them
- Stopping bad habits that are personally destructive and money wasters
- Joining in with other Christians in a church that teaches and preaches from the Bible
- Making it a habit to give time and money to this church, being involved as much as you can
There are many more things we can add to that list, but that is just a beginning. Simply put, there are two ways to do things: your way or God’s way. And when you do things God’s way, life works. If you don’t, you will struggle. The change in your life might not happen right away, like having all of your problems disappear. But little by little, Christian disciplines pay off in a life that pleases God and furthers His kingdom. It doesn’t mean that life will be easy, because following Jesus and going where He leads you can be lonely, difficult and it might even bring ridicule and persecution. Be prepared for that. Not everyone is going to stand up and cheer for you, and they might even try to bring you down.
But with God on your side, there is no end to what He can do for you, in you and through you!