Jesus is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of His nature, and He upholds the universe by the word of His power. After making purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. Hebrews 1:3
The writer of Hebrews starts off with a magnificent declaration of five things about who Jesus is. They are central to our faith, and why Jesus is a big deal:
- He is the radiance of the glory of God. Jesus is full of God’s glory, and He was even when He was a human on the earth. The apostle John told about it in John 1:14, We beheld His glory, full of grace and truth. If you want to know God’s glory, look at Jesus. Read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) and absorb His miracle power. In John 2:11, after Jesus turned the water into wine, John recorded, This, the first of His signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested His glory. And His disciples believed in Him.
- He is the exact imprint of God’s nature. Jesus is God. John 1:18 tells us, No one has ever seen God; the only God (Jesus) who is at the Father’s side, He has made Him known. If you want to know what God is like, look at Jesus. As Colossians 1:15 also declares, He is the image of the invisible God.
- He upholds the universe by the word of His power. I love Philippians 3:21, Who, by the power that enables Jesus to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body. And Colossians 1:17 says, In Him (Jesus) all things hold together. Jesus holds the universe together, He holds you and me together, and He holds all of the political and climate events together. It is not in man’s power to do this, only Jesus’. When I watch the news and start to feel afraid and unsettled, it is this concept that comes to mind.
- He made purification for our sins. We are all infected with a lethal disease that causes spiritual death–it’s sin. No one is immune to this disease, as all have sinned, from Romans 3:23. Our problem isn’t poverty, or pollution, or evil institutions–it’s sin. Only Jesus could pay the price for our sin, and He did. Hebrews 10:11-12 states, Every priest…offers repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, He sat down at the right hand of God. The root of purification is “pure.” We have been made pure by Jesus’ blood.
- He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high. Jesus is not the little baby in a manger, nor is He the bearded guy in the pictures with a kid on His lap. He is now glorified, ruling and reigning on a throne, sitting next to His Father God, “the Majesty.” He lived a perfect life, completed the job He came to do by dying on the cross and triumphantly rising again, and then was given the victor’s crown. Jesus is executing judgment and righteousness from the throne with all power and authority and will one day come in great glory. Check out the description that John gave after He encountered the risen and exalted Lord in Revelation 1:12-17. This is Jesus!
I commend King Jesus to you that you might trust in Him, love Him and worship Him.