The Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it. Genesis 4:6-7
“For sin will have no dominion over you.” Romans 6:14
The glorious message in the Christian life is that sin no longer is your master. Because of Jesus’ victory over sin and death, we can live free from enslaving habits and sins. We can live in victory and freedom. Let freedom ring!
Most Christians would readily agree that sin is crouching at our doors. If we give that sin a place in our life, sin will take over and be our boss. Addictions and chronic sin patterns are like that. But what many miss is the freedom and victory that Jesus offers. Our new master is Jesus and He has given us His Holy Spirit to empower us to say “no” to sin and “yes” to the life that He wants to give all of us.
Some of the things that we must build into our daily diets to conquer sin are:
- Stay away from tempting sins. If you want to quit eating chocolate, don’t stand in the candy aisle!
- Confess and obey immediately. The longer you hang on to a sin, the harder it is to break.
- Walk in the Spirit, consciously committing each day to God. Ask God to empower you with His Spirit, being careful to listen to His promptings. It is through the Holy Spirit’s power and energy that we are able to live out the Christian life.
- Take the time to read and study the Bible. This is not a magic formula, but it is like eating. You wouldn’t go a day without eating because it would make you weak. So don’t go a day without getting your spiritual food.
- Flood your life with the opposite good of what you’re trying to flee. Instead of just focusing on not doing something unproductive or sinful, start filling that time with doing something good, productive and nondestructive.
- Find a trusted friend to be honest and vulnerable with to keep each other accountable to the things that are in your lives that need to go.
Victory over sin is possible through Jesus. Sin does not have to be our boss. That is today’s good news!
*Image from email@example.com